Sunday, May 29, 2011

Experimental Oatmeal Scotchie Cupcakes.... My grandmother would be so proud.

The husband and I were pondering new cupcake ideas that could maybe be one of a kind. He suggested doing something with butterscotch. That to me was kinda hard considering the only form of butterscotch available at the stores without making homemade would be butterscotch morsels and butterscotch ice cream topping.

Then, it all came rushing in, the oatmeal scotchies my Grandma used to always make me! Those were the best things ever! Super buttery and made even more buttery goodness with the butterscotch chips.
I opted to use the butterscotch chips in an adapted recipe I have for white chocolate truffle frosting that uses melted white chocolate. The base of the cupcake is a brown sugar buttermilk cupcake (courtesy of Martha Stewart) with an oatmeal strusel topping. All of that is topped off with the butterscotch truffle frosting and drizzled with white chocolate. Why the white chocolate on top, well..... my Grandmother used to dip half the oatmeal scotchie cookie in white chocolate, so that how I like 'em!



Update - I've made these a second time now. They came out good, just good in my opinion, not great. They were kinda dry but the frosting was AWESOME! Plus I decorated a little better. I think the first time I made these I might of use cake flour instead of AP flour, but I can't remember. Just the kick in the ass I needed to make sure I start taking notes! Here is a new pic.



On a side note too, I made these again because I new my Grandma was coming to town. It was kinda cool being able to show her a cupcake that was inspired by her. I think my love of baking and cooking has a great deal to do with her influence. I can remember visiting with her when I was little and we'd be in the kitchen making meals for my Grandpa. She's an awesome woman. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment