Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Oh so simple cupcakes, recipe included!

Hi there folks. When I got home from work today I had a craving for cupcakes. When am I not craving or thinking about new cupcakes though? Never! Having a 6 month old at home doesn't leave me with too much free time when I get home after a long day of paper pushing. I decided to make a very small batch of vanilla bean buttermilk cupcakes, literally made only 8 cupcakes. To me, that is the perfect amount. Two for me, two for the hubby, and some freebies to take to work the next day.

These had to of been the easiest cupcakes I've made so far and some of the tastiest. I had some leftover butterscotch chips from making my oatmeal Scotchie cupcakes last weekend and wanted to use them. That way I'm not tempted to just go grab a handful out of the freezer (come on, you know you do it too).

Here's a pic of the finished goods....


Keep reading for recipe.


Vanilla Bean cupcakes with Butterscotch chips

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla*
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup buttermilk

A handful of butterscotch chips
Powdered sugar for dusting

*I love using vanilla bean paste because I like to see the specs of vanilla bean in the vanilla cupcakes. Feel free to use a good quality vanilla extract though.

Combine butter and sugar in large mixing bowl. Cream butter and sugar with hand mixer until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add egg and beat again until well combined. Beat in vanilla.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into another bowl.

Add flour mixture and buttermilk into the cream mixture, mixing until just combined (over mixing will cause a tough cupcake).

Fill paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Sprinkle about a 1/2 tablespoon of butterscotch chips on top of batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean (a few little crumbs are OK though).

Dust cooled cupcakes with powdered sugar. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment