Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lemon Basil Meringues

I was feeling a bit adventurous in the flavor department and decided to make some lemon basil meringues. It was a good excuse to use the fresh basil from our garden that my husband has been so kind to grow for me.

Plus, this recipe was a great way for me to really test my new Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Boy, did it work great! The last time I made meringues I debated ever making them again. With this mixer I think I might go on a meringue binge. I love meringues because you can impart such a variety of flavor combos. They are super low in calories, and basically NO fat. You can eat these bad boys completely guilt free!

While in the oven -



Here's the recipe -

Lemon Basil Meringues
makes about 30-40 cookies

3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
3/4 cup sugar
zest of one small lemon
4 basil leaves chopped as finely as possible

Place egg whites in large metal bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment (or use large metal bowl and electric hand mixer).
Add cream of tarter to egg whites.
Beat in mixer on medium high speed until soft peaks form.
Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until all has been incorporated and egg whites are stiff and glossy.
Fold lemon zest and basil into whipped egg whites, do not over mix.
Position oven racks in upper and lower third of oven and preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Pipe or spoon into 1 inch cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours until crisp in the center.

Per cookie - Approx. 15 cal, 0 grams fat, 3 grams carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment